The school will take place at the University of Balearic Islands Campus. The UIB Campus is located 7.5 km north of Palma downtown, in the middle of a scenic landscape, and quite close to the mountains in the "Serra de Tramuntana" range. Google Maps have a bird's-eye view of the campus
- Lectures and talks will take place at Antoni M. Alcover building, room 5.
- Coffee breaks & poster sessions will take place at IFISC seminar room.
- Participant's accommodation is provided by UIB Student Residence.
- Metro (subway) stop (end of Line 1).
Special rates for accepted participants has been arranged with the UIB Student Residence. The fare including lodging in individual room, breakfast and dinner is aprox. 39€ per nigth. Sharing the room with another participant, also including breakfast and dinner, the cost is of aprox. 31€ per night per person.
The Student Residence can also provide lodging arriving before the School starts or departing after it ends. Instructions on how to book at the special rates will be given upon acceptation to attend the school.
Lunch in working days is included in the registration.
Palma de Mallorca is very well connected with the rest of Spain and Europe (specially Germany, UK, Austria, Switzerland and Scandinavia) through the international "Son Sant Joan" airport (airport code PMI). The airport is located 8 km east of Palma.
How to go from Palma Airport to Palma downtown
- Bus: At the Airport take the line A1 at bus stop 547 located outside the Arrivals' Hall. There is a bus every 15-20 minutes. Ticket price: 5€. Tickets can be purchased from the bus driver (only bills up to 10 EUR are accepted). Step down at stop 2 "Plaza España" or "Plaça d'Espanya", where you can take a connection to the UIB campus.
- Taxi: Alternatively you can take a Taxi from the Airport to Palma or to the UIB campus. Taxis can be found just outside the Airport Arrivals Hall. Typical fares are around 25€-30€ depending on trafic and number of suitcases. The are suplemental fares for night and holiday services.
How to go from Palma downtown to the UIB campus
- Metro (subway): Take line M1 which starts at Plaza España (marked as Estació Intermodal in ticket machines) and ends at the UIB campus. Travel time is 13 min. There is a metro every 20 min. Single ticket price is 1.80€. Tickets can be purchased at the ticket machines located in the station hall (bills larger than 20€ are not accepted). Keep the ticket until the end, since it is needed to leave the station. Line M1 does not operates on Sundays nor on Saturdays after 2:30 pm.
- Bus: From Monday to Friday, take line 19 (labelled as "Universitat"). Single ticket price is 2€. Tickets can be purchased from the bus driver (only bills up to 10 EUR are accepted). Bus frequency is about one every 15 min. and trip time is about 30 min. Line 19 has several stops in Palma including Plaça d'Espanya. For the Student Residence use stop 1101, when arriving from Palma and 1102 when going to Palma. Both stops are labelled "C.Esport-Residència". For IFISC or Antoni M. Alcover building, use stop 571, "Edifici Beatriu de Pinós", when arriving from Palma and stop 1014, "C. Mallorca" (located in front of the Antoni M. Alcover building), when going to Palma.
On weekends use line 9. Bus frequency is about one every hour. When arriving from or going to Palma use bus stop 1101 for Student Residence and stop 1014 for IFISC and Antoni M. Alcover buildings.
The average maximum and minimum temperatures in Palma in late August/early September are 30 and 18oC, respectively. For detailed information visit, e.g. el tiempo.
The official time on the Balearic Islands is the same as on Spanish mainland, CET: During autumn-winter, GMT/UTC+1; During the spring-summer, GMT/UTC+2, following the Daylight Saving Time convention of the European Union.
- Tourism portal of the Govern de les Illes Balears
- Tourism portal of the Consell de Mallorca
- Mallorca Web
- Official web of Palma de Mallorca Town Council
- Palma urban bus (EMT)
- Train, metro and interurban bus portal (TIB-CTM)